Yashica Dutt, journalist and author of Coming out as Dalit, and Ashif Shaikh, Dalit activist and leader of Jan Sahas, have a conversation about caste-based violence and oppression, manual scavenging, dignity, the Black Lives Matter movement, and, what it means to be an ally in the fight against caste hierarchy.
- The vulnerabilities faced by Dalit women, and their needs.
- How to fight caste-based discrimination in society.
- What needs to change within society, within the government, and within policy.
- How to be an ally in the movement for equality.
For more information about IDR, go to www.idronline.org. Also, follow IDR on Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter and Instagram.
- Growing up a Dalit child in small-town India
- Coming out as Dalit: A memoir
- IDR Interviews: Bezwada Wilson
- Want social change? Give communities more agency
- Meet the man who has gifted new life to over 31,000 manual scavengers
- Manual scavengers: the hands that clean you
- The 2012 Nirbhaya gang rape and murder case
- The 2020 Hathras gang rape and murder case
- Dalitality: Inherent untouchability in planning for SC/STs
This is a Maed in India production. To find out more about us visit www.maedinindia.in
Serial Productions & The New York Times