In October 1985, 17-year-old Michele Avila disappeared after leaving her home to hang out with three of her good friends. Three days after she was last seen, Michele was found in an area of Angeles National Forest known as Colby Canyon. Despite several suspects making it onto the police department's radar, it would be three years before an unexpected confession would bring Missy's true killers to justice.
But even as recently as a few years ago, Missy's family has been fighting for justice for Missy in the aftermath of this horrific tragedy.
Listen to Evil Pudding here
_________________________ Patreon Request a Case YouTube Channel Goodpods: Leave a review! Podchaser: Leave a review! Music: "Poisoned Rose"
by Aakash Gandhi
• “Deadly Forest
.” Unusual Suspects. Season 5, Episode 1.
• Murder of Michele Avila
• "Grieving Friends Emerge as Suspects in Girl's Drowning."
Los Angeles Times. 29 August 1988. Lozano, Carlos.
• Michele Yvette "Missy" Avila
| Find A Grave
• "Two women sentenced in jealousy drowning."
Ellensburg Daily Record. 10 March 1990.
• "Killer's impending release painful for slain girl's family."
11 July 2011. Bartholomew, Dana.
• "Last woman convicted in Missy Avila murder released from prison on Monday."
Los Angeles Daily News. 10 December 2012. Bartholomew, Dana.
• "Family Sues Daughter's Murderer."
Courthouse News Service. 26 March 2015.
• "Killer will not profit from selling story of 17-year-old girl's murder."
ABC 7 News. 14 November 2014. Michaelson, Elex & Bartley, Lisa.
• "Family files wrongful death lawsuit against convicted killer who wrote book, had film deal."
25 March 2015. Michaelson, Elex & Bartley, Lisa.
• "Murder victim's family celebrates signing of Missy's Law."
ABC 7 News. 6 October 2015.