Indian women are lonely in the bedroom, lonely in the kitchen, lonely in the workplace. Shrayana Bhattacharya joins Amit Varma in episode 259 of The Seen and the Unseen to discuss the interior and exterior lives of these unseen millions.
Also check out
1. Desperately Seeking Shah Rukh: India's Lonely Young Women and the Search for Intimacy and Independence -- Shrayana Bhattacharya.
2. Select Shah Rukh Khan films: Baazigar, DDLJ, Dil Tho Pagal Hai, Kal Ho Naa Ho, Dilwale, Mohabbatein.
3. Shar Rukh Khan interviews selected by Shrayana: 1, 2, 3, 4.
4. The Power to Choose -- Naila Kabeer.
5. Naila Kabeer on Amazon.
6. Counting for Nothing: What Men Value and What Women are Worth -- Marilyn Waring.
7. The Odd Woman and the City -- Vivian Gornick.
8. Vivian Gornick on Amazon.
9. Future Sex -- Emily Witt.
10. Kamala Das's autobiography, poems and stories.
11. Deborah Levy and Bell Hooks on Amazon.
12. Poor Economics -- Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo.
13. Exit, Voice, and Loyalty -- Albert O Hirschman.
14. The Art of Loving -- Erich Fromm.
15. The Penguin Complete Novels of Nancy Mitford.
16. Selected Satire: Fifty Years of Ignorance -- Shrilal Shukla.
17. Most of Amit Varma’s writing on DeMon, collected in one Twitter thread.
18. Dani Rodrik's tweet thread about the 'jerk quotient' in economics.
19. The Hidden Taxes on Women -- Sendhil Mullainathan.
20. "Academia is a giant circlejerk" -- Amit Varma's tweet.
21. Episodes of The Seen and the Unseen with Ajay Shah (in reverse chronological order): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.
22. The Universe of Chuck Gopal -- Episode 258 of The Seen and the Unseen.
23. Miss Excel on Instagram and TikTok.
24. Bahujan Economics.
25. Raghuram Rajan at the Harvard Kennedy School in 2018. (Minute 5 onwards.)
26. In Service of the Republic -- Vijay Kelkar and Ajay Shah.
27. Superforecasting -- Philip Tetlock and Dan Gardner.
28. Listen, The Internet Has SPACE -- Amit Varma.
29. Raees: An Empty Shell of a Gangster Film -- Amit Varma.
30. The Baptist, the Bootlegger and the Dead Man Walking -- Amit Varma.
31. Bootleggers and Baptists-The Education of a Regulatory Economist -- Bruce Yandle.
32. Episodes of The Seen and the Unseen with Jai Arjun Singh and Uday Bhatia.
33. The Life and Times of Abhinandan Sekhri -- Episode 254 of The Seen and the Unseen.
34. Films, Feminism, Paromita -- Episode 155 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Paromita Vohra).
35. Modi’s Lost Opportunity -- Episode 119 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Salman Soz).
36. Women at Work -- Episode 132 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Namita Bhandare).
37. What explains the decline in female labour force participation in India? -- Urmila Chatterjee, Rinku Murgai and Martin Rama.
38. Why Are Fewer Married Women Joining the Work Force in India? -- Farzana Afridi, Taryn Dinkelman and Kanika Mahajan.
39. India Moving — Chinmay Tumbe.
40. India = Migration -- Episode 128 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Chinmay Tumbe).
41. House of Secrets: The Burari Deaths.
42. The Right to Sex -- Amia Srinivasan.
43. 'Let Me Interrupt Your Expertise With My Confidence' -- New Yorker cartoon by Jason Adam Katzenstein.
44. The Confidence Gap -- Katty Kay and Claire Shipman.
45. The Ugliness of the Indian Male -- Mukul Kesavan.
46. The Blank Noise Project by Jasmeen Patheja.
47. Why Loiter? -- Shilpa Phadke.
48. The Jackson Katz quote on passive sentence constructions.
49. The Kavita Krishnan Files -- Episode 228 of The Seen and the Unseen.
50. Metrics of Empowerment — Episode 88 of The Seen and the Unseen (w Devika Kher, Nidhi Gupta and Hamsini Hariharan).
51. Jane Austen and Pico Iyer on Amazon.
This episode is sponsored by CTQ Compounds. Check out The Daily Reader and FutureStack. Use the code UNSEEN for Rs 2500 off.
Check out Amit’s online courses, The Art of Clear Writing and The Art of Podcasting.
And subscribe to The India Uncut Newsletter. It’s free!