Welcome to Episode 129a
Mastodon, with Jerry!
- Setup and Background
- Twitter changed hands
- New owner appears insane
- People are afraid that their social network of choice is going down the tubes
- They are looking for a place to go
- Decentralized, and federated
- The platform isnt controlled by one party
- It effectively cannot be taken away.
- Why is that important?
- Fediverse? Activitypub? what’s that all about?
- Open Source
- Who is Jerry?
- A little about Twitter, just for reference
- Why did people like Twitter to begin with? Why not one of the other social networks?
- What is Mastodon?
- So What’s it like when your hobby becomes a life raft?
- What is that?
- What made you decide to start it up?
- And what happened in the past few weeks?
- How is it hosted?
- How do you afford it??
- Links and things
Watch us live on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month! Subscribe and hit the bell! https://www.youtube.com/IronSysadminPodcast
Discord Community: https://discord.gg/wmxvQ4c2H6
Matrix Space: https://matrix.to/#/#IronSysadmin:trixie.undrground.org
Find us on Twitter, and Facebook!
Subscribe wherever you find podcasts!
And don't forget about our patreon! https://patreon.com/ironsysadmin
Intro and Outro music credit: Tri Tachyon, Digital MK 2