Today, I sit down with Rick Rubin to talk about living a life of creativity. Rick shares his insights on why curiosity is a powerful tool when it comes to achieving dreams and finding success, the influence our attitude has towards the things that we do and the people we surround ourselves with, and how to stay focused on your goals and not get distracted by negativity and lack of support.
Rick Rubin is an influential music producer and record executive known for his work with artists across various genres. Co-founding Def Jam Recordings, he played a vital role in shaping hip-hop music and produced albums for iconic acts such as LL Cool J and the Beastie Boys. Rubin's production style combines rock and hip-hop elements, and he has collaborated with diverse artists like Johnny Cash, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Kanye West. His minimalist approach and emphasis on capturing raw performances have earned him numerous accolades and established him as a highly sought-after producer in the industry.
You can order my new book 8 RULES OF LOVE at 8rulesoflove.com or at a retail store near you. You can also get the chance to see me live on my first ever world tour. This is a 90 minute interactive show where I will take you on a journey of finding, keeping and even letting go of love. Head to jayshettytour.comand find out if I'll be in a city near you. Thank you so much for all your support - I hope to see you soon.
What We Discuss:
- 00:00 Intro
- 00:22 At the core of it, who do you see yourself? Who are you trying to create?
- 02:42 Why are we addicted to becoming accepted?
- 07:38 How did curiosity develop for you and how did it start?
- 10:41 Habit is something you get better at the more you practice
- 11:43 Some are fearless in life, and there are some who are fearless when it comes to art
- 13:11 Commitments in life differ from the commitments you make in art
- 15:24 How does our attitude change things around us?
- 17:59 We all have a creative decision and it what makes a difference in our daily activities
- 19:49 What have been the biggest blocks in creativity?
- 24:05 Is creativity stifled and why does it matter?
- 27:19 We all have a story and we all can learn from each other
- 30:19 There are several ways to sing your life song
- 32:29 Why can't I be creative? What can I do to get better?
- 34:36 How do you stay confident in a competitive space and share your work openly?
- 38:21 How do famous people deal with criticism and stay unaffected?
- 43:30 How can you differentiate procrastination from distraction?
- 50:24 How do you submerge yourself in your craft?
- 52:35 Listening to monks can significantly change your life
- 56:36 Understanding the power of meditation and how to practice it
- 59:29 What is the biggest challenge in your life and what did you do about it?
- 01:05:31 What is the best way to inspire someone when most people don’t like being told what to do?
- 01:07:45 What is your purpose in life?
- 01:10:06 Why do we often feel unworthy of happiness and love?
- 01:11:21 How does first success feel? Did it make you happy?
- 01:15:50 What’s the best moment you’ve celebrated over success?
- 01:20:56 This is how you can preserve a good dream
- 01:24:56 We can’t predict an outcome so choose to do what’s interesting for you
- 01:29:41 When you receive an advice, listen to your own intuition
- 01:32:53 Rick on Final Five
Want to be a Jay Shetty Certified Life Coach? Get the Digital Guide and Workbook from Jay Shettyhttps://jayshettypurpose.com/fb-getting-started-as-a-life-coach-podcast/
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.