Today's episode is the third one from Women's March, 2022 edition. As the name suggest, for the month of March, since the 8th is International Women’s Day, I’m going to be doing 4 women empowerment and feminism focused episodes, bringing different guests from different walks of life, to talk all about their experience with being a woman, feminism & women empowerment.
For this third episode I'm joined by Madison Hadler, host of the Loud Mouth Podcast, a podcast all about being LOUD about activism, our passions, and changing our communities, check out new episodes released every Wednesday! We decided to chat together about sexism and misogyny in pop culture.
We talked about:
- Britney Spears’ "breakdown" in 2007: how we saw it then and how we see it now, and how it made Britney a real person and why people didn't like that
- Actors that have been accused of sexual assault, like Ed Westwick, Ansel Elgort, that are still praised on social media or by awards
- Taylor Swift, how she has been demonized as a slut because she dated “too many men”: how and why people started treating her songwriting as something bad, rather than a skill, and how even when she's starting to take back the power and rerecord her songs, people still make it about the people she dated
- We touched on at the beginning: Monica Lewinsky's scandal and why was the intern the problem and not the president of the United States and Serena Williams and her “angry black woman” trope
Janet Jackson's super bowl nip slip and how people filed complaints about her and she was blacklisted, and how Justin Timberlake went on to build the career he has now
- Simone Biles: how taking a break made her get railed by people online, how mental health and her race plays a role in her taking a break, how people would've criticized her anyways and how this show that sexism is still a thing in today's pop culture.
Loud Mouth Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/loudmouth/id1439949776
Loud Mouth IG: https://www.instagram.com/loudmouthpod/
Follow me: https://www.instagram.com/mypointofview.podcast/
Music: Cheese, prod. by Lukrembo https://soundcloud.com/lukrembo/cheese