Join Chef Farokh Talati on our Play Me a Recipe Podcast as he cooks through Masala Oats, his go-to quick breakfast that brings warmth, tang, and everything else you need for the day ahead from his new cookbook Parsi: From Persia to Bombay: recipes & tales from the ancient culture.
- 100g ghee or unsalted butter
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 2 small green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100g rolled oats or porridge oats
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric a pinch of hing (asafoetida)
- 500ml chicken stock or water
- 4 tablespoons tangy onions (see below)
- a small handful of well-chopped curly
- leaf parsley freshly cracked black pepper
For Tangy Onions
- 1 small red onion
- 2 generous tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
To Make the Oats
- Melt the ghee or butter in a sturdy-bottomed pot over a low heat. When hot, add the onion, celery and carrot and cook for about 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent and the vegetables have softened, but none have taken on any colour.
- Add the tomato, chillies, garam masala and salt. Season with a few healthy grinds of black pepper and stir everything together. Increase the heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to break down.
- Add the oats, turmeric, hing and stock or water. Bring the mixture back to a simmer, stirring continuously, for about 2–4 minutes, until the oats cook and thicken – you want the consistency of a well-formed but loose porridge, as this is the essence of what you’re creating.
- Place the hot masala oats in serving bowls and top each with a spoonful of tangy onions (see below) and a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
To Make Tangy Onions
- To prepare the tangy onions, peel a small red onion, cut in half, then thinly slice using a mandolin or sharp knife.
- Sprinkle the salt and cracked black pepper.
- Sprinkle the apple cider vinegar over the onions and, using your fingers, massage together.