Hour 1 of The Dawn Stensland Show:
- An off-duty police officer was killed in a car crash in Northeast Philadelphia. The officer, whose name has not yet been released to the public, was on his way home from work when his vehicle was struck by a BMW sedan.
- Two teens have been charged in the murder of Sean Toomey—a 15-year-old boy who was senselessly shot and killed while carrying groceries into his family’s Philadelphia home.
- In response to the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. Bruen—which struck down restrictions on concealed carry permits—New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy condemned the court, referring to the decision as “deeply flawed” and “tragic.”
- The U.S. Supreme Court has overturned Roe v. Wade with its 6-3 decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization.
- In the groundbreaking decision of Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, Chief Justice John Roberts voted with the court’s conservative majority, writing a concurring opinion, according to The New York Times. In a leaked draft of the decision, Roberts had sided with the dissenting justices.
- Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi spoke about the Supreme Court’s decision to effectively end Roe v. Wade—calling the decision a “slap in the face” to women and “cruel.” She stated that a women’s right to choose is on the ballot in November, alleging that the court’s end goal is to criminalize individual “health decisions” made by women.