Join Yvonne Brandenburg, RVT, VTS SAIM and Jordan Porter RVT, LVT, VTS SAIM as we talk about:
- What happens to a pet’s body when blood bypasses the filtering system that the liver provides. We dive into key symptoms pets can experience, as well as common therapies pursued to help these patients.
Question of the Week
- Do you have a specific patient that comes to mind when you think of liver shunts? What breed is this patient? Did they pursue surgery? What symptoms did they present with?
Resources We Mentioned in the Show
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons: Portosystemic shunts
- VIN: Exploring the Mysteries of Liver Shunts
- Merck Veterinary Manual: Digestive System and Hepatic Disease
- Linda Merrill, L. V. (2012). Small Animal Internal Medicine for Veterinary Technicians and Nurses. Ames: Wiley-Blackwell.
Thanks so much for tuning in. Join us again next week for another episode!
Get Access to the Membership Site for your RACE approved CE certificates
Get Access to the Technician Treasure Trove
Thanks for listening!
– Yvonne and Jordan