Tom Burton has been an educator for 35 years including as a superintendent and associate superintendent for a total of 8 years at Princeton City Schools in Ohio. In July 2023, he retired and shared his insights and expertise with SchoolCEO. Follow him on X/Twitter at @TBurton_Empower
In addition to this episode, you can watch Tom Burton’s TEDx talks. Watch “Sometimes the Apple Bounces” about breaking the cycle of poverty and “Finding Resolutions: Questions the Answers” about developing the mindset to confront ourselves and make progress.
- Leaders need to challenge the status quo and get comfortable with dissent and disagreement to spark new thinking. Ask "why" repeatedly to dig deeper.
- Model the behaviors and mindsets you want to see. Consistency between beliefs and actions builds culture.
- Stay positive and solution-focused. Don't let setbacks derail you. Reflect but don't dwell on mistakes.
- Implement programs and changes systematically. Evaluate frequently and course correct.
- Collaboration and transparency lead to better ideas and outcomes. Value all voices.
- Gratitude and recognition motivate teams. Look for authentic ways to say thanks.
Want more from SchoolCEO? Subscribe for free to our newsletter! We’ll send you ideas to get you thinking, resources you can use within your schools, and share original research that is published exclusively in SchoolCEO magazine.